New System Makes It Easier to Apply for and Renew Business Licenses
To streamline the licensing process and make it easier for businesses to apply for or renew business licenses, the City of Bremerton has partnered with the Department of Revenue’s Business Licensing Service (BLS). Starting July 15, 2021, BLS will begin to process the City of Bremerton’s business licenses and renewals.
A new business licensing system will make it easier to apply for or renew your business license by providing a one-stop shop for both Bremerton and state business licenses. The new system will allow you to apply or renew online, saving you time bookkeeping costs.
You can file your Bremerton city taxes online here.
Registering a Business in Washington
Are you thinking of starting a business in Bremerton?
Apply for your State and City license here. Be sure to add Bremerton as an endorsement to your State license if you are located in the City or are working here.
Who Needs a City Business License?
Most businesses operating in Bremerton are required to have a Bremerton business license in addition to their State license. Complete the License Check Sheet (PDF) to learn more. Business licenses are needed for:
- Retail sales and service
- Providing professional or personal services
Effective 2019: Any person or business whose annual value of products, gross proceeds of sales or gross income of the business in the city is equal to or less than $2,000 AND does not maintain a place of business within the city shall be exempt from the general business license requirement. The exemption does not apply to regulatory license requirements that require a specialized permit.
The City of Bremerton regulates taxis, adult entertainment, street vendors, mobile vendors, peddlers and some other business types. These businesses require both a standard business license and a regulatory license. For more information, please visit the Regulatory Licenses tab above.
Licensing Information for Specific Business Types
- Businesses based outside Bremerton – If your business is based outside Bremerton and you do business within the city, then you must have a Bremerton business license. In other words, you need a license for where you conduct business; not just for where you're located.
- Subcontractors – Subcontractors need a Bremerton business license even if the contractor they are working with already has one. The license is valid only for the legal owner listed on it.
- Non-profits – If you raise funds in Bremerton, whether as a for-profit or nonprofit organization, you must have a Bremerton business license.
- Online-only business – Contact us if you have questions about licensing for online-only businesses. You may need a Bremerton business license if your business originates from Bremerton or has servers within city limits.
- Home-based business – Businesses based in a Bremerton home usually need a Bremerton business license and land use permit ($73.00 permit fee). Contact us if you have questions about licensing for home-based businesses. Please read these regulations if you are applying for a home occupation business.
Applying for a New Business License
Apply for your State and City license here. Please be aware that your license fee is nonrefundable regardless of applying in error or subsequent denial of your application.
Since the State will be processing all general business license applications after 7/15/21, we can no longer accept business license applications at our City offices after that date.
Closing & Selling Businesses
If you close or sell your business you must notify the City of Bremerton in writing of the change. We cannot close your account over the phone! Please use the closure box in the lower left-hand corner of the tax form to indicate the closure/sale date or access your account online here and mark the closure box in your account information. If you have already filed your tax return you may email firstname.lastname@example.org with your account number, business name and last day of business in Bremerton. The tax form must be filed with our office within 10 days after your last day of business in Bremerton.
- A change in ownership of a business requires that the new owner apply for a new license.
- If a business is conducted at 2 or more places within the city, a separate license is required for each place at which business is conducted.
- If more than 1 business is conducted at a single location, a separate license is required for each business.
Read the CodeYou can read the Bremerton Municipal Code (BMC) Chapter 5.02 for details about Bremerton business licensing.
Because the State is now processing all general business license renewal fees, we will no longer be able to accept your renewal at the City.
When do you need a Regulatory License?
Regulatory licenses are required for the following activities and businesses:
- Charitable Solicitation (Nonprofit), Professional Fundraiser
- Dance / Public
- Erotic Dance Studios Dancers
- Mobile Food Vendor
- Street Vendor
- Temporary Merchant