Affordable housing is a vital component in economic development. Availability of homes at all income levels means businesses have access to employees. Workers are more stable and invested in their community, children have the opportunity to thrive in school, residents can make healthy choices, and we create less overall environmental burden. Research has shown that stable, affordable housing is critical to enabling families to attend to other needs, be self-sufficient and productive members of the community.
The City of Bremerton considers affordable housing to be a high priority and have developed tools to address this important issue. The following are resources, programs, and City’s proposed initiatives.
- Bremerton Homeownership Program - Down Payment Assistance Program
- City of Bremerton Community Block Grant
- Mayor Wheeler's Affordable Housing Update (PDF)
- Mayor Wheeler's Initiatives to Increase Housing Supply (PDF)
- Resources for Renters and Landlords in Bremerton
- Assessment of Bremerton’s Affordable Housing Policies & Regulations: Infill Toolkit
- City of Bremerton & Kitsap County Affordable Housing Recommendation Report (full document)
Other Housing Resources
- Bremerton Housing Authority, 600 Park Avenue, 360-479-3694.
- City of Bremerton Comprehensive Plan Housing Element
- Kitsap County’s Affordable Housing Program
- PSRC Planning for Whole Communities Toolkit
- PSRC Housing Innovation Program
- Department of Commerce
- Within Reach: Ambitious Federal Solutions to Meeting the Housing Needs of the Most Vulnerable People
- National Low Income Housing Coalition:
- AWC Toolkit for Homelessness and Affordable Housing (2017)
- MRSC’s Affordable Housing
- MRSC’s Inclusionary Zoning: One Approach to Create Affordable Housing